Thursday 16 November 2017



PSBC November E-News

November is Fall Prevention Month in Canada

While anyone can experience a fall, seniors and people with Parkinson's disease (PD) are at a greater risk. In fact, 31% of people with PD will report a fall within one year of diagnosis, which may result in injury (Wile, 2017). Stiff muscles, freezing and impaired balance can all contribute to a Parkinson's related fall.
Elaine Benning from Comox, shares her personal experience:
"I was cleaning up some cardboard for the recycle pick-up. I wasn't being very careful and was stomping on it, like I would have prior to having Parkinson's. I fell backward on my butt; I was very lucky not to have hit the SUV or anything else in the garage.
This experience woke me up to the fact that my balance issues are bigger than I had thought. I now make sure I have a firm hold on a steady object before I attempt anything like that. My husband and I have cleared our garage of any items that could be tripped over easily and have something to steady ourselves with at all times. I try to improve my balance through exercise as well."
Anne Langdon from Courtenay offers her story:
"I experienced a lot of pain and suffering from a big fall in mid-June. Since then, I've learned more about walking, standing, balance and paying attention to your moves before making them! I take exercise classes that focus on core strength, such as Push Back Against Parkinson's. In the past, I've taken PWR! exercise classes. I continue to take square dance and cued round dance lessons, which are both excellent for balance and brain/body coordination."
November is Fall Prevention Month
What can you do to help prevent falls?
  • Keep your body active: You are less likely to fall if you have strong muscles and good balance.
  • Have your eyes checked by an optometrist once a year: Good vision can reduce your risk of falling.
  • Have your doctor or pharmacist review your medications: Some medications can make you feel drowsy, dizzy or unsteady on your feet.
  • Make your home safer: Falls are often due to home hazards that are easy to overlook but simple to fix.
(Finding Balance BC, 2017)
Remember, you are not alone! If you would like more information about Falls Prevention Month, including how to ensure home safety and reduce falls, you can contact Parkinson Society British Columbia at 1-800-668-3330 or email Jaclyn Willems at jwillems@parkinson.bc.ca.
Sources:
Finding Balance BC. (2017). Are you at Risk for Falls? Retrieved from http://findingbalancebc.ca/campaign-toolkit/.
Wile, Daryl. (2017, November 3). What is Parkinson's Disease? Web presentation.


Fall Online Auction (November 1-15)

Be sure to act fast! Parkinson Society British Columbia's Fall Online Auction closes on November 15 at noon. There is an exciting variety of luxurious items up for bid, including a cruise with Holland America Line, two roundtrip tickets on any Harbour Air Flight and four rounds of golf at Fairmont Chateau Whistler. Thank you to all of the companies who generously donated to make this auction possible. Proceeds benefit PSBC's programs, services, research contributions and advocacy initiatives. To place your bids, visit www.bit.ly/PSBCOnlineAuction2017.


Education Events

  • Online Carepartner Support Group: Online webinar, every third Wednesday of the month. For more information, contact Myriame at mlepinelyons@parkinson.bc.ca or 1-800-668-3330.
  • Newly Diagnosed Webinar Series: Online registration is now closed, but you can register with PSBC by contacting Myriame Lépine-Lyons at mlepinelyons@parkinson.bc.ca or 1-800-668-3330.
    Friday, November 10: Adjusting to a New Diagnosis with Courtney Doherty, RCC
    Friday, November 17: Panel discussion with members of our community
    Friday, November 24: Importance of Exercise with Naomi Casiro, BSc. (Kin), MPT, Certified PWR! Therapist

Fundraising Events



Resources

  • Managing Balance Difficulties Associated with Parkinson's [help sheet]
  • In-Home Safety Checklist [help sheet]
  • Finding Balance BC [website]